Like most towns up and down the country, Grantham has felt the effects of recession. Perhaps it has fared a bit worse than some, but certainly not as bad as others. Okay, there are too many empty retail units around the town centre, and it has been sad saying goodbye to some well-loved businesses.
But Grantham still has lots to offer locals and visitors alike. Lots. This town has some great shops, smashing restaurants and wonderful health and beauty outlets. And its schools are the envy of many towns throughout the region (and well beyond).
So, here are just some of Grantham’s favourite businesses (and 10 reasons to be proud of Grantham):
- Bindi – this award-winning Indian restaurant thoroughly deserves its reputation for mouth-watering, fresh food and attentive service
- Enhance Beauty – Lorna Pattenden has created a relaxing salon with amazing treatments that wouldn’t seem out of place in London’s West End
- Design Works – with leading brands and an in-house design service, Design Works is where your dream home starts
- The Grantham Preparatory School – helps young children develop their academic, sporting, artistic, musical and social skills, giving them the best preparation for senior school
- Downtown – although not in the town centre, iconic Downtown and Downtown Garden Centre have a reputation for choice, value and service that would shame most national chains
- Oceans Health and Fitness – a stylish, spacious gym and swimming pool with everything you’d expect (and more) from much more expensive fitness centres
- The Priory Business and Conference Centre – an elegant Georgian venue for parties, meetings and conferences in Grantham’s town centre
- VBC Premier Blinds – offers a great choice of blinds for homes and businesses, with exceptional customer service, from its Grantham manufacturing base
- Chris Ward Carpets and Hard Flooring – stunning carpets, wood, vinyl, ceramic tiles – whatever you want to cover your floor with, you can trust Chris Ward to deliver on value, quality and service
- Empire Designer Wear – Chad and his team offer the latest designer labels for men and women at High Street prices, with great service to boot!
This list isn’t supposed to be exhaustive. These are just a few of the businesses that make Grantham great. There are many, many more. If you think, like me, that Grantham’s businesses have a lot to offer, why not rate them on The Best of Grantham or vote for them in the Great Exhibition 2012. ?
It’s very easy to get despondent about things and, yes, of course the town needs a lift. But, like so many things in life, it starts by recognising what we already have and making the most of it.
And Grantham has a lot to be proud of. It really does.